STATISTICS AND POOL DROWNING PREVENTION
Drowning is the number one cause of death among children. These statistics uncovered by the (CPSC) U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission regarding children from the ages of 5 and under. Nearly 80 percent of child drowning victims, are out of their parents site for FIVE MINUTES OR LESS.
Most child drowning victims discovered in the pool with their clothes on, most likely occurred because the child wandered out unattended, and not when other were in the pool.
Studies also show children drown during routine household activities, for example, someone at the door, a phone call, taking a shower, or cleaning. It only takes a second for a child to slip away.
No matter how the drowning occurred or where it happened-pool, spa, or any other body of water,one thing was the same, the seconds that claimed their child's life slid by silently, (THERE WAS NO CRY FOR HELP) no warning, and they can never be brought back.
ACTION STEPS TO HELP PREVENT DROWNINGS
- Alarm all doors and windows that lead out to the pool area, install at least 5' from ground level, so children cannot reach them.
- To eliminate access to a pool or spa, install a Lifeguard Pool Fence around the area. If a self-closing, Self-latching Gate is installed with the fence, have the gate open away from the pool.
- Covers are another way of protecting your pool; automatic covers are the best, however they are expensive and not suitable for all pools. Pool safety net do not protect the pool when it is in use.
- Check with your pediatrician to see when swimming lessons are right for your child.
- Courses in infant CPR and FIRST AID are highly recommended for parents and their care givers.
- Never leave small children unattended near any body of water, no matter how shallow it may be.